4.18.2012

a really "cheep" little project



Oliver and I are kicking around today, folding laundry and waiting for the dishwasher repairman. I barely slept last night for some reason, and need to reserve my energy for a performance and a few late nights later this week, so this is fine.

I got to try something I've been wanting to do recently, a little decal job with some one-cent American Kerstrel (bird) stamps and a small cardboard birdhouse we bought at an art supply shop for ninety-nine cents, bringing the total cost to $1.47, plus tax. Except that the stamps cost $8.50 off of eBay, including shipping, and I used the entire sheet, so it really turned out to be a $9.49 job. And of course, only after I was done did it dawn on me those stamps might be worth even more one day, had I not stuck them to a cardboard birdhouse. 

It does make a cute little ornament. I'll have to try with one of my favorite (but not one-cent) stamps, the holiday evergreen series. That would be really pretty.

 Bare birdhouse.

Some supplies. I was going to do a bird egg, too, but I ran out of
American Kerstrel stamps working on the birdhouse.
I'll try again some other time.

Now, the birdhouse. I tiled that roof like a roofer, thinking all the while about how I'd want my roof shingled. Fact: I am an EXPERT WATERPROOFER. Ask somebody.








Etc. etc. etc., and here we are. Final touch was cutting out the door. I have an aunt who I think is really into birds. I feel like sending it to her. It makes me think, what else can I do with stamps? I love the repetitive graphic, which is why this sheet of stamps has been hanging on our living room wall for years. Fun!








2 comments:

  1. This is so lovely!!! I admire your creative way of thinking! By the way, thank you very much for reminding me that stamps are still alive... I must visit the post office this week to check...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Gulcin! Stamps are so fun. Great for collaging, and they come with their own adhesive! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...