9.12.2012

ollie's spongebob birthday party



Oliver's third birthday party was a few weekends ago. Through no fault of his own, he really has no little friends yet, so it was a grown up affair for the most part. Oliver wanted a SpongeBob SquarePants party, so we did a nautical/SpongeBob theme. 

To be honest, our apartment is so small and has so many festive things and art projects everywhere, sometimes it's hard to tell that we've decorated it for a party. That's the truth. I did order some white and blue balloons, made some new bunting (I know, I KNOW!), and bought the SpongeBob pieces they use on the cakes at the grocery store to put on my own slumpy but pretty cool cake (here is Oliver's cake from last year at Apartment Therapy, by the way). I scattered some pineapples around and filled a SpongeBob piñata with pirate eye patches and gummy Krabby Patties and little sea creatures. The menu was all over the place. Usually I'm proud of my party menus and post them as a special feature here called "menu" (what else?), but this one had no cohesive element. Banh Mi and olive cheese balls, anyone?

We all had a good time. Oliver had a GREAT TIME! He never stopped smiling or moving, except when little Gemma tried to touch his crackers. The precious, precious thing about Oliver is that he is so gentle (and possibly sheltered...I'm working on it) that when the piñata broke open he asked for permission to grab something. And at the end of singing "Happy Birthday", he sang happy birthday to his sister, instead of to himself. It's probably because I'm his mother, but I found those things heartbreakingly sweet.

Here are some photos from the day. They are noisy and fuzzy and not great, but I don't want to forget the day. xo























10 comments:

  1. He really does look happy . (And a lot like you Tiffanie!)
    That last picture is adorable. I really liked how you implemented real pineapples too. Good job on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Larissa, he is crazy happy most of the time, except when he's not! :) I don't see me in his face at all, but I'm glad someone else does! xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a sweet party! And I love the cake.
    PS I really like your blog Tiffanie, it brightens my morning when you have a new post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sarah B.,

      I can't tell you how much your comment meant to me when I read it this morning. You have brightened my day, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the blue and white balloons, really makes it feel under the sea! Sounds like your kids have a close relationship - love that : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balloons are the easiest way to decorate! :)

      They are pretty close, but Stella still is dubious. We don't get to do a fraction of the things we used to do together before he was born anymore. You know how it is! xoxo

      Delete
  4. happy birthDAY to mama, i find i get pretty sappy at kids' b-day's these days, well after having my own kids that is. do you? looks like a fantastic party; such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a blast! But that comes as no surprise with you at the helm. The joy all around is so evident, it must make you so happy and fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Richard! These kids are pretty damn happy, but I think Stella would still be happier had her brother never come along. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...