5.01.2013

nice big paper roses



I have spent the last few days preparing to teach paper rose making at a private event for Martha Stewart Living Thursday night here in San Francisco. Aren't these just amazing? These are my partially finished samples for the class. I've also cut out over 640 flower petals and 100 leaves! It's been a lot of work, but as you can imagine I am more than delighted to show people how to make these amazing blooms!

Because it is a private event, I don't think I'l be able to share photos of it here, but I wanted to share the link to the MSL tutorial and video tutorial with you in case you'd like to take a stab at making these. I thought my paper flowers were nice, but I'm really digging the realism in this design. Here are those links:


Lots of beautiful paper was involved in the prepping for making these roses. This isn't even all of it!


I'm very excited for this opportunity and am really looking forward to teaching this class. A few exciting things just dropped in my lap last week while I was lying low, this being one of them. I love it when that happens! xoxo












10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Larissa! That paper doesn't hurt. I actually went to the store I usually mail order the paper from in Berkeley last weekend and was in heaven!

      Delete
  2. That's a very exciting thing, indeed! Mostly what drops in my lap are cookie crumbs.

    Your roses are gorgeous. I wish I could attend the class. I know it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, TL. If I have any leftover materials no one wants I'll try to mail you a little kit. You are so clever, the crumb comment gave me a good chuckle! xo

      Delete
  3. If you don't mind me asking where do you order the crepe paper from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi fanni23,

    This particular paper is called Doublette and I get it from Castle in the Air in Berkeley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely - you mentioned 640 flower petals and 100 leaves. How many flowers did this produce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Miri, sorry for the delayed response. By my calculations it had the potential to produce 32 roses (20 petals per rose) but it was so long ago now I can't quite remember how many were actually made. I am teaching the class again probably in February, so I better figure that all out again soon!

      Delete
  6. Hi Tiffanie,

    Wondering what weight of crepe paper you recommend for making your gorgeous blooms. I have used 100 gram, but it seems a little floppy. Wondering if 180 would be too much??

    Your advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy. I am so sorry for my delayed response, I have gotten behind on everything these days!

      The paper I use is called "doublette", I believe because it has a different color on each side of it and possibly is made of two layers bound into one, but I'm not positive on that. It is a 90 gram paper, and it works beautifully for the oversized petals, so hopefully you won't have a problem with 100 gram. I get mine here: https://www.castleintheair.biz/shoppe/?b=10&k=10&c=143

      180 gram paper works, too, but it's so "crepe-y" that it is a little less realistic in these roses, but I think it would work!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...